Monday, May 7, 2012

Priestly "Pretender" Scandal

Give. Me. A. Break.

Did you see this news story? A man who has had been a priest for 20 years now admits he’s married (my emphases throughout):

A Catholic priest in Australia has publicly admitted that he has been married for a year and claimed "there are more like me."

"So I've fallen in love and I've got married and it's outside of most people's awareness, but I'm sure people within the church could have had a suspicion," Father Kevin Lee told Australia's 7News, a partner of NBC News.
He said there were others like him around the world.

"That's one of the reasons that's motivated me to make public my admission that I'm one of those people who's been a pretender: To draw to the attention of the public that there are more like me, in fact most of them," he said.

No, Father. Not "a pretender": a liar, a fraud. And you've known since before you were ordained that, after ordination, any attempt to marry would be invalid. So you've lied twice: once in presenting yourself as a celibate priest of the Catholic Church, and a second time in presenting yourself as a married man.

[Lee] said he pitied what he called "sacrificing" priests around the world who were denying themselves a relationship.

…"I think celibacy has to go as a prerequisite for being a minister in the Catholic religion," he added.

You knew what was required when you “signed up” for it, Father. Now you seek to paint holy priests who live their celibacy in joy and sacrifice with your liberal brush. How dare you besmirch the name of the good priests who are true to the Church, true to their vocation, and humble in facing the temptations that beset them.

May God have mercy on your soul, on the soul of the woman you've corrupted, and on the souls of that portion of the Lord's flock that was entrusted to your care.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and concise.